We all want to be as safe as possible when out and about. Here are some simple precautions you can take:
When you are on a night out
When you are travelling
- Taxis and Ubers: Getting a taxi? Use a valid taxi service or online cab checker to confirm it is licensed. You can send the registration number to a friend so that they know which car you've got in.
- Taxis and Ubers: Feeling uneasy about a driver? Listen to your instincts: if in doubt, don't get in the car.
- Cars: Make sure your car has enough fuel to complete your journey. Check it for broken lights, windscreen cracks.
- Cars: Park in busy areas where there is good lighting, especially at night.
- Cars: Never give a lift to a stranger.
- Trains and buses: Waiting for the 18:03 or the number 42? Stand in a well-lit place near other people.
- Trains and buses: Someone bothering you? Tell the guard or driver - you can stay with them if you continue to feel uncomfortable.
Looking after your belongings
- Do not be over-protective of your belongings.If you are a victim of theft (and the chances are very low), you can get a new phone and you can order new bank cards. If you are in a dangerous situation leave your possessions and seek help in the nearest safe place.
- Keep your bag closed: if it is open an opportunist thief is more likely to see what you have and take it.